Friday 15 January 2010

B-A-L-A-N-C-E ........Balance



Hullo ma wee blog,

I've been indoors pretty much all day yesterday and today. Its bloomin freezing and, like my lovely G, I am headachy and feeling the chill.

During the course of perusing the paper today I noticed a wee stramash {commotion} going on because someone had posted a clip on you tube of a policeman sledging down a hill on his riot shield. All the officers involved have been reprimanded by their High Heid Yin {commanding officer} and advised this is not the way to behave if they want to get on in the force.

Now, I expect that some of you at least might be expecting me to go off on one and have a wee rant about abuse of position and waste of taxpayers money and shouldn't they be spending their time on better things. And aye, you can have that argument. But I was struck by how welcomingly human it was, how engaging it is to see an adult in a moment of fun. Even more so when these very people have no doubt been pulling many many hours dealing with the weather and its aftermath, never mind the often stressful job they have in the normal working day. I,m often struck by how professional these guys are and how well they cope with the majority of situations. I can have a grumble here and there of course like all of us, and I have never felt that I for one have ever been victimised or mistreated by police in any way like some folk certainly feel.

I rather enjoyed the sight of these guys just taking a moment to be light hearted. I think many people who at times may feel stressed do the odd thing that perhaps they shouldn't and, all the more so perhaps because of that, get a release of tension and can get on with the day all the better for it.

Of course I don't want to see multitudes of coppers belting down the snowy hillsides on shields when there is plenty of work for them to do. But I also don't want to see anyone pilloried for a bit of harmless momentary fun.

so come on Mr Chief Super or whatever you are, cut them some slack. Its not the end of the world.

And maybe they were trying out a new, carbon friendly, stealthy means of sneaking up on the bad guys. At least they would arrive fully kitted out for a riot.

And guys - whatever happens " KEEP SMILING!"

see you later.

Listening to Snow Patrol 'Run'

4 comments:

coastkid said...

sorry to hear you have the lergie alistair...hope it passes quickly..
the police film raised a smile for me anyway!!
good on them..

lom said...

It made me laugh and like you I felt it was heartwarming.

Anonymous said...

Hear hear Al .,.,.,
Scudder

Big Swifty said...

When I heard this story I was questionning how many rioting gangs were left marauding through our neighbourhoods while the police were playing sledges. Answer, none. The police have a tough enough job trying to enforce the law, and also be everyone's friend, as they are now expected to be. Let them have a bit of fun now and then.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...