Monday 28 February 2011

The {Late} Sunday Post

Greenknowe Tower, Gordon. Borders.

Sorry I missed the usual Sunday posting as The Lovely G and I have been away at a wedding in the Yorshire Dales - the heart of Bronte country to be exact - and got back late Sunday. As you can tell, I'm not organised enough to plan posting ahead.

The wedding was a lovely and slightly unusual one, so there will be more about it in due course.

Another poem from Norman MacCaig.

Characteristics. {1981}

My American friends,
Who claim Scots ancestry,
Have been touring Scotland.
In ten days they visited,
Eleven castles. I smiled -
How American.
They said they preferred,
The ruined ones. I smiled again.
How Scottish.



Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh.

See you later.

7 comments:

Nicky said...

Haha, I love this poem! Very fitting - over here, just about everyone claims to have some Scottish ancestry (and it drives me nuts!). Great pics. Can't wait to hear more about the wedding too.

Unknown said...

Haha, you need to send that poem to dbs et all. :-)

Welcome home my friend.

Alistair said...

Hullo Nicky - it's another wee cracker isn't it. I think he's spot on in his assessment of the two cultures in this. {Greenknowe is probably my favourite castle and a wee gem.}More on the wedding soon - promise.

Hullo Jono - I see you're back too, but at least you're more organised with scheduling postings than I am. I think dbs will see it here but if not I daresay it might appear over at his gaffe as a comment. Hope you enjoyed your time away and got in some quality 'me time' with your camera. Be in touch soon - got another set of hearings Tuesday morning.

DB Stewart said...

Thanks boys. I saw it here and as a Canadian, I loved it.

Alistair said...

Hullo dbs. Ouch! - of course - your Canadian - that's a bit of a faux pas on our parts here. {and a bad one} Sorry!

The poem does seem to fit some of the steroetypical American tourists that visit us though. I met a couple on a train who had done London the day before and were 'doing Scotland' the day I met them. Poor souls.

all good fun though.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Hi dbs! Oh I knew he was from my new favourite country. But I also knew he's appreciate it.

Yes I had a lovely time thank you. I have sadly returned to redundancy for a second time. I'm beginning to think its me. :-(

Alistair said...

Aw bugger Jono. Sorry to hear that. Welcome to the {not very} exclusive Redundancy Club. I hope you only have an interim membership and not {what feels for me like} a life pass. My commiserations buddy. Don't think for a second its you cos that's nonsense.

Now then.
First rule of Redundancy Club is........

No not the obvious one!!!


don't feel sorry for yourself.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...