Friday 3 June 2011

Where the Bodies are Buried.


Hullo ma wee blog,


Sorry to have been ignoring you over the last week but in my sad life where very little happens it's been a hectic few days. From a holiday weekend that saw us go from a concert to a jaunt to the remotest west highlands, to a couple of full days of childrens hearings and all the preparation needed for that and a night in Edinburgh at an event with my sister-in-law, I feel my hands have been quite full. Add to that the insurance company taking away the carcass of my old laptop to confirm it can't be repaired before parting with any of their cash forcing the lovely G and I to have an extended period of sharing computer access and before you know it several days have slipped by without me posting a single solitary thing.

Wednesday night saw me in Edinburgh with sister-in-law K  to attend the launch of Christopher Brookmyres latest novel 'Where The Bodies Are Buried'.  Christopher - or Chris as his publishers are now marketing him - is one of my favourite Scots authors, a scathing, irreverent and hilarious satirist who's tongue-in-cheek-boot-firmly-applied-to-the-establishments-posterior style has often had me creased with laughter, often in places where I should know better like waiting rooms or on aeroplanes. The event, held on the eve of his latest books publication, marks his first foray away from his previous satirical genre into what is described as a more serious mainline crime thriller style, took place in Edinburgh's historic old town, just off The Grassmarket, in a candle-lit and dungeon-like small venue beneath one of the areas oldest buildings.  A glass of plonk kicked off an hour of readings and chat with the man followed by a question and answer session about his writing, life, the universe and everything. From the couple of readings he did it seemed to me that he  has created some credible, grounded characters who are still capable of raising a smile while working within the dark, more realistic backdrop of Glasgow's underworld he has created.

A first for me, I stayed around at the end to stand in line and buy a pre-release copy for the man to sign while we chatted for a moment. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it soon. I might even let you know how it goes.........

See you later.

Listening to

 

6 comments:

Kat_RN said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Sorry to hear about your computer troubles, I would be lost without mine. Hubby's is bigger, newer and faster, but mine is comfortable and it knows where to go.
Kat

Alistair said...

Hopefully I'll be back online in my own right fairly soon Kat. It's strange how often I have the urge to blog something when the lovely G is using the laptop. With my 'spontaneous' kind of approach it can be frustrating - but that's not her fault.

Rebecca S. said...

Some friends of mine reconditioned an old laptop for me and presented it to me yesterday, saying, "We thought you might like to come to the coffee shop and work on your blog." I was blown away. It does have some quirks to iron out, though. Anyway, I like crime fiction and Rebus is the Scots character I know the best. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like your new purchase. The cover sure grabs me!
The children's hearings...are you on a board or something?

Alistair said...

That's great news about the laptop. What a nice thing of your friends to do. {It might cost you a fortune in coffee though. Ha}

I'll let you know how it goes with the book.

Yes I sit on childrens hearings which are legal tribunals for the care, treatment, protection and guidance of children from birth to 16. We make legally binding decisions for children who are vulnerable, being offended against or who are offending. I've been doing it for seven years now. for info click on the link on the side bar as usually I'll include in the post a link to the website giving more details of what we do.

Rebecca S. said...

Thanks, Al, will do! See you later. Must go make supper now. And yes, the coffee thing can be an expensive way to blog. I don't think I'll be doing that very often. We got a new desktop in the fall of last year and it is a dream, so I fully appreciated your post about grinning while you played on your new toy :)

Alistair said...

It's a great wee machine!

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...