Sunday 20 October 2013

The Sunday Posts 2013/ Assynt And Edinburgh



From the corner of Scotland I know so well
I see Edinburgh sprawling like seven cats
on its seven hills beside the Firth of Forth.

And when I'm in Edinburgh I walk
amongst the mountains and lochs of that corner
that looks across the Minch to the Hebrides.

Two places I belong to as though I was born
in both of them.

They make every day a birthday,
giving me gifts wrapped in the ribbons of memory.
I store them away, greedy as a miser.

Norman MacCaig
Photo by Alistair

7 comments:

DB Stewart said...

My #1 travel dream. (I'm a little greedy for it too.)

Alistair said...

Then I hope you make it one day dbs. It would be a pleasure to show some of it to you.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Hey there from OZ! Am all over the place in every possible sense of the word - now counting in day's (well nearly) to when I am back astride those Edinburgh hills!!! YAM xx

Alistair said...

On the move and heading back hame eh? Could've picked a better time of year mind Yamini!

Hope the plans work out. The hills will still be here when you finally make it.

Cheers!

Rebecca S. said...

I'm not a huge fan of the show The Monarch of the Glen, but I do watch it sometimes just for the scenery. Scotland's lakes and hills are rare in their exquisite beauty. I hope to visit someday, too.
I enjoyed the poem very much.

Anonymous said...

I love this! :)

Alistair said...

Rebecca - I can honestly say I've never seen it. Like with dbs I'd be glad to show some of it to you.

Eolist, MacCaig was one of the best at getting that feeling across. Glad you enjoyed it too.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...