Sunday 9 November 2014

The Sunday Post/ Remembrance: A Hundred years



Remember today; brothers, fathers and sons.
The blood, the bullets, the terrible guns.
Far away places, far distant times,
Old family portraits, those names brought to mind.
Pause and reflect a moment or two.
But for them it could have been you.

Consider a moment a life unlived
How could it feel,
To give your expected days
And future stolen in myriad ways.
No mark on the world, all your dreams unfulfilled.
No aspirations, no regrets,
No life ever built.

Remember today;  brothers, fathers and sons.
The blood and the bullets, the terrible guns.
Far away places, far distant times,
Old family portraits, those names brought to mind.
Pause and reflect a moment or two.
But for them it could have been you.

Words and image by Alistair.

.

4 comments:

DB Stewart said...

A fine piece of writing Alistair. I especially appreciate the inclusion of both "aspirations and regrets."

Morning's Minion said...

When I transcribed the WWI letters of my great-uncle, a casualty of the Second Battle of the Marne, I ached for his longing to come home, to marry his fiancee, to again make music.
I've often wondered how different the course of our family might have been had he lived--and that wondering multiplied so many times over for so many families.
A poignant piece of writing.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Perfectly pitched Alastair... thank you. YAM xx

Alistair said...

Cheers folks. Much appreciated!

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...